Recipe: Crayfish salad
I’m just back from my summer holibobs where I was totally shamed – shamed I tell you! – by my French friend Pauline who cooked with both eyes closed, an arm behind her back, two kids hanging off her apron (no, she wasn’t really wearing one, it’s artistic licence) and no cookbook to take the tiniest credit for her awesome gastronomic creations.
Well a big *thwuuuuup* raspberry to Pauline (in the nicest way, I do really love her) – I for one am incapable of doing any cooking without a recipe-for-idiots to follow, so praise be to The Quince Tree at the River & Rowing Museum in Henley, creators of this delicious crayfish and cous cous salad, who have kindly donated it to the Muddy cause. Aprons at the ready? Let’s cook, people!
90g of cous cous
180g crayfish in brine
6 to 8 asparagus depends on the size
120g of courgette
Grated zest of 1 lime and of 1 lemon
1 table spoon of chopped coriander
1 spring onion chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
For the dressing:
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 table spoon of white wine vinegar
3 table spoon of oil of olive
1/2 tea spoon of djon mustard
1 tea spoon of honey.
1. Cook the cous cous following method on the packet and leave to cool down.
2. Blanch the asparagus and once cold chop the ends and add (leave the heads of the asparagus whole) to the cous cous with the chopped coriander, the grated zest of the lime and the lemon , the chopped spring onion salt and pepper then put into the fridge for few hours.
3. In the meanwhile slice the courgette and grill them before cooling.
4. For the dressing whisk together the honey, vinegar, mustard and lemon juice. Once blended pour in the olive oil slowly till smooth.
5. After a few hours take out the cous cous mix from the fridge and add the grilled courgette and the asparagus heads.
6. Add the crayfish and dressing and mix everything together.