Hmmm, you’ve reached an older feature - let’s get you up to date! Read our latest Food features here.
Muddy Stilettos Recipe:
Warm Salad of English Asparagus, Jersey Royals & Quail Eggs with Chive butter Sauce by Paul Collins
Ingredients (serves 4):
1 bunch of asparagus
12 quail eggs
100 ml white wine vinegar
½ bunch chives
200g jersey royal potatoes
glass of white wine
1 finely chopped shallot
tbsp double cream
This is a beautiful salad for a sunny spring day (let’s assume we’ll be having many more of them for our sanity’s sake). Inexpensive to make and easy to put together, it’s the perfect dinner party starter or delicious lunch.
How to make it:
1. Peel the asparagus and cook for 2 minutes in boiling salted water so that it remains crisp and green. Place into ice cold water to stop the cooking, then drain and keep on kitchen paper until required.
2. Cook the potatoes so that they also retain a little bit of bite. Drain and keep in a bowl until required.
3. Make the butter sauce by boiling the white wine with the shallot and reducing it until there’s almost nothing left in the pan. Add the double cream and then add the butter, then bring to the boil again and adjust the seasoning if required. Pass through a fine sieve to capture the shallots and keep warm until needed.
5, Chop the chives finely and reserve until needed for the finished sauce.
6. Place the white wine vinegar into a bowl and then gently crack all the quail eggs into it. You may find that using a small sharp knife will help the process.
7. Bring a small pan of water to the boil and then pour all the quail eggs into the water along with the vinegar and cook for 1 minute on the simmer, then place all the eggs into a bowl of ice cold water to stop the cooking process. You can then keep these in the fridge until needed.
This dish works best when all the ingredients are served warm.
1. To do this, gently place all the ingredients into a pan of salted, simmering water for 30 seconds, drain all the ingredients onto kitchen paper and season with salt.
2. Dress all the potatoes, asparagus and eggs on hot plates and at the last minute add the chives to the hot butter sauce.
3. Pour sauce over liberally and garnish with the picked pea shoots.
4. Et voila!
www.chefpaulcollins.co.uk. Tel: 07774866902/01844 279461.
Photos courtesy of Tory McTernan www.torymcternan.co.uk