Muddy Stilettos first tottered into the world in 2011 as a way for national lifestyle journalist Hero Brown (Independent on Sunday, The Observer, Red, Marie Claire, Elle) to find out and share the fun stuff to do in the local area, having moved out of London that summer to the Buckinghamshire/Oxfordshire borders with husband and baby son in tow.
Quickly Muddy Stilettos caught on locally as a witty, useful, tastefully curated and researched insider’s guide to the very best food, walks, boutiques, day trips, hotels, interiors and events for smart, fun-loving women living outside London.
In Jan 2013 the site turned into a business, and nine years on, Muddy Stilettos has 1.2m monthly fans, nearly 275,000 subscribers, 250,000 social followers, and can now be found in 28 counties, with editions in Bedfordshire, Berkshire, Cambridgeshire, Cornwall, Derbyshire, Devon, Dorset, Essex, Gloucestershire, Hampshire, the Isle of Wight, Hertfordshire, Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire, Oxfordshire, Rutland, Kent, Northants, Norfolk, Somerset, Suffolk, Surrey, Sussex, Warwickshire, the West Midlands, Wiltshire and Worcestershire. A London newsletter has just launched, for those in the city wanting Muddy’s take on the cultural highlights, as well as the ultimate guide to the best of what’s outside the M25.
This is Hero’s Muddy Mantra that all Muddy regional editors also follow:
- I try everything out so that you can fully trust my opinion. On the occasions that I haven’t been somewhere (for example, an event that hasn’t happened yet) I let you know about it. Sometimes guest editors review and these will be clearly marked.
- Muddy Stilettos is a commercial site and as such accepts advertising and utilises affiliate links. However, I believe passionately in only working with brands that share my ethos and are relevant to my readers. I retain editorial control and independence at all times.
- I will never accept payment to write about something I don’t believe in.
- I accept tickets to free shows, festivals, restaurants, events etc with the purpose of reviewing or publicising them on Muddy Stilettos, as I’m sure you appreciate it’s pretty expensive zipping around trying stuff out all the time. Hotels, restaurants, cafes, bars – if you want me to try you out, please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org or via IG messaging @muddystilettos.
- I’ll never write a nasty, negative review. I’m not into trashing people, brands or companies. BUT the flip of this is that, if you’re not good enough, I will not write about you in Muddy Stilettos, regardless of whether the experience was offered to me on a complementary basis. This gives me the editorial control I need and the trust that my readers demand.
- I welcome quality, creative, exciting brands big and small getting in touch . For national partnerships, please email email@example.com. For Bucks & Oxon partnerships, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.