Muddy Stilettos first tottered into the world in 2011 as a way for journalist Hero Brown (Independent on Sunday, The Observer, Red, Marie Claire, Elle) to find out the fun stuff to do in Bucks & Oxon, having moved out of London that summer with husband and baby son in tow.
Quickly Muddy Stilettos caught on locally to become the ultimate ‘urban guide to the countryside’ – a witty, super-useful insider’s guide to the very best food, walks, boutiques, day trips, hotels, interiors and events for smart, fun-loving women living outside London.
In Nov 2012 the blog turned into a business, and six years on, Muddy Stilettos can now be found in 19 counties, with editions in Berkshire, Cambridgeshire, Cornwall, Devon, Gloucestershire, Hampshire, Hertfordshire, Leicestershire, Rutland, Kent, Northants, Norfolk, Somerset, Surrey, Sussex, Warwickshire and Wiltshire.
Winner of Most Innovative Blog in the UK, Finalist in the UK’s Best Arts & Culture Blog (2017) and current Finalist in Best Start Up in the Major Awards (2018), the heartbeat of Muddy Stilettos is its upbeat honesty, humour, and single-minded focus on finding the cool, quirky and unmissable in the local area.
This is Hero’s Muddy Mantra that all Muddy editors also follow:
- I try everything out so that you can fully trust my opinion. On the occasions that I haven’t been somewhere (for example, an event that hasn’t happened yet!) I let you know about it. Sometimes guest editors review and these will be clearly marked.
- Muddy Stilettos is a commercial blog and as such accepts advertising and utilises affiliate links. However, I believe passionately in only working with brands that share my ethos and are relevant to my readers. I retain editorial control and independence at all times.
- I will never accept payment to write about something I don’t believe in.
- I accept tickets to free shows, festivals, restaurants, events etc with the purpose of reviewing or publicising them on Muddy Stilettos, as I’m sure you appreciate it’s pretty expensive zipping around trying stuff out all the time. Hotels, restaurants, cafes, bars – if you want me to try you out, please get in touch at email@example.com or via twitter @muddystiletto
- I’ll never write a nasty review. I’m not into trashing people, brands or companies. BUT if you’re not good enough, I will not write about you in Muddy Stilettos, regardless of whether the experience was offered to me on a complementary basis. This gives me the editorial control I need and the trust that my readers demand.